Sompo Japan Lending "Sunflowers" By Van Gogh To Bring Hope In Japan's Earthquake-Affected Region
Sompo Japan announces its decision to lend out Vincent Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" from the collection of Sompo Japan, to the "Special Exhibition: Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'" to be held at the Miyagi Museum of Art from July 15 to August 31, 2014.
Tokyo (I-Newswire) January 10, 2014 - Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. (President: Kengo Sakurada; hereinafter, "Sompo Japan") announces its decision to lend out Vincent Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" from the collection of Sompo Japan, to the "Special Exhibition: Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'" (provisional title) to be held at the Miyagi Museum of Art from July 15 to August 31, 2014.
Seven of Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" masterpieces dating to his Arles Period are known to exist. One of the seven works is displayed at the Seiji Togo Memorial Sompo Japan Museum of Art in Japan. In principle, due to reasons including the difficultness of preserving and maintaining it, Sompo Japan does not lend out the "Sunflowers" to anywhere outside of the museum.
However, it has been expressed to Sompo Japan by the area affected by the unprecedented disaster of the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, that as reconstruction support, it "hoped the
'Sunflowers' Van Gogh painted in Arles in southern France in search of the bright colors of Japanese woodblock prints (Ukiyo-e) would give a ray of light and courage to the affected people, who are still now trying to reconstruct their lives." In response to this wish, Sompo Japan has decided to extend its cooperation with the first special exhibition of Van Gogh's works to be held in the Tohoku area (north east side of Japan). This will be done as part of Sompo Japan's disaster area reconstruction support activities conducted in collaboration with NIPPONKOA Insurance Co., Ltd., ahead of the two companies' merger in September 2014.
An overview of the exhibition is as follows.
1. Title: Special Exhibition: Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" Great East Japan Earthquake Reconstruction Support (provisional title)
2. Duration: Tuesday, July 15 to Sunday, August 31, 2014
(Closed: Every Monday except for July 21 [Monday, public holiday].
The museum will be closed on the following Tuesday, July 22.)
3. Location: The Miyagi Museum of Art
4. Organizers: Miyagi Prefecture, The Miyagi Museum of Art,Seiji Togo Memorial Sompo Japan Museum of Art,Yomiuri Shimbun, The Japan Association of Art Museums, and "Great East Japan Earthquake Reconstruction Support Special Exhibition: Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'" (provisional title) Executive Committee
5. Special Support: Sompo Japan Insurance Inc., NIPPONKOA Insurance Co., Ltd., and Kamei Corporation
6. Special Cooperation: Museum of Kamei Collection
7. Sponsors (Expected): Reconstruction Agency, local news agencies, and more
8. Support and Cooperation (Expected): Lion Corporation, Shimizu Corporation,Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd., and more
9. Admission Fee: Adults 700 yen; Students 500 yen; Elementary/Junior/High School Students Free
10. Exhibited Works: 18 works (expected), including Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" and other works based on a "flower" motif painted by Japanese and non-Japanese artists, such as Paul Klee, Maurice de Vlaminck, and Rinjiro Hasegawa
About Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. and Nipponkoa Insurance CO., Ltd.
Date of Establishment April 1, 2010
Nature of business Management of P&C insurance companies, More.. life insurance companies, and other
companies controlled as subsidiaries pursuant to the Insurance Business Law, and other operations incidental thereto
Capital stock ¥100 billion
Fiscal year-end March 31
Exchanges where shares to be listed Tokyo Stock Exchange (First section), Osaka Securities Exchange (First section)
Independent auditor Ernst & Young ShinNihon LLC
Stock transfer agent Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking CorporationLess..
Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. and Nipponkoa Insurance CO., Ltd.
26-1,Nishi-Shinjuku 1-chome, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Phone : 81-3-3349-3111
Published On:January 10, 2014
Print Release:Print Release
If you have questions regarding information in this press release contact the company listed above. I-Newswire.com is a press release service and not the author of this press release.The information that is on or available through this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. As some companies and PR Agencies submit their press releases once per week,month or quarter, make sure to check the official company website for accurate release dates as our site displays the I-Newswire.com press release distribution date only.We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through this site, and we are not responsible for or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information.