Eight Steps to Protect Your Business at Christmas
A Cheshire businessman outlines eight ways to safeguard your business over Christmas and New Year.
Cheshire (I-Newswire) December 18, 2013 - Christmas and New Year are quiet periods for employers but it is important that you do not let your guard down.
That is according to Tom Gilruth, Managing Director at Topwood Ltd.
He says: "Over the Christmas period do not leave information where it can be seen by prying eyes when the offices are lightly staffed.
"Data breaches are now considered a risk in virtually every workplace and trends show increases in both severity and in the frequency of breaches. It is important to tighten security across the board. Document management is a great place to start."
Mr Gilruth has some top tips and here are some essential components - and best practices - for document management.
1. Create a culture of information security with a clear document management policy.
2. Stay up-to-date about data protection laws. The Information Commissioner's Office can impose severe fines for breaches of data laws.
3. Schedule regular employee training in this area.
4. Map the information cycle in your organisation (from data generation to destruction) to identify security risks - and create data security strategies for each risk.
5. Create a system that ensures all sensitive information that must be kept on file is protected and locked up with limited employee access.
6. Create document retention and destruction schedules. Label document files by what they contain, how long they must be kept and when they should be destroyed.
7. Partner with a professional document destruction service like Topwood to have documents that are no longer needed securely destroyed and shredded. The service should provide a secure chain of custody with locked consoles for documents, secure shredding at your office, and a Certificate of Destruction after each visit. Check that the company provides a rigorous hard drive destruction service as well.
8. Implement a shred-all policy so that all documents that are no longer needed are securely destroyed on a regular basis.
Mr Gilruth believes that by following these rules you will have a stress free Christmas and come back to fewer problems in the New Year.
About Topwood Ltd
Topwood are specialists in secure document storage, scanning and shredding services serving areas in More..cluding Wrexham, Chester, Liverpool and Warrington.
Our client base covers a range of commercial and professional organisations including accountants, solicitors, local government departments and FMCG businesses.Less..
Phone : 0800 781 1066
Tags:secure storage Hard Drive Destruction confidential shredding on-site mobile shredding secure storage Chester secure document shredding Cheshire
Published On:December 18, 2013
Print Release:Print Release
If you have questions regarding information in this press release contact the company listed above. I-Newswire.com is a press release service and not the author of this press release.The information that is on or available through this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. As some companies and PR Agencies submit their press releases once per week,month or quarter, make sure to check the official company website for accurate release dates as our site displays the I-Newswire.com press release distribution date only.We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through this site, and we are not responsible for or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information.