West End Farmer's Market
The West End Farmers Market brings together hundreds of people every Sunday, rain or shine, every Sunday 9am-1pm. Parents bring their children, couples meet up with friends, and dogs of every size and breed happily socialize with each other.
Alexandria, VA (I-Newswire) April 27, 2011 - The West End Farmers Market opens for a 5th season on Sunday, May 1, 2011. Located in Alexandria, Virginia’s Ben Brenman Park, the market will be open every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
According to the USDA, the West End Farmers Market is one of the approximately 6,000 farmers markets in the country, part of the 152 in Virginia. The West End Farmers Market began in 2006, and currently has 8 farmers selling a wide variety of products, including garlic scapes, pea shoots, squash blossoms, donut peaches, Asian pears, okra and tat soi. All of the farmers at the West End Farmers Market grow their own fruits and vegetables. In the most recent season, the West End Farmers Market generated approximately $500,000 for these local producers, a valuable economic boost for the region. The West End Farmers Market has an ongoing relationship with the DC food bank, Bread for the City. Our vendors donate approximately 500 lbs of food each week.
“Farmers markets are good for your health, good for your community, and good for the economy” says Stacy Miller, Executive Director of the Farmers Market Coalition, a nonprofit supporting farmers markets across the country. “We invite everyone to celebrate the freshest foods from America’s most entrepreneurial farmers by supporting their local farmers markets.”
“I love this market” declares Susan Birchler, Market Manger of the West End Farmers Market. “Every week we put on a lively event. People linger to enjoy the colors, smells and tastes of ripe fruits and vegetables, baked goods, dairy, and other food, and as they linger, strike up conversations with vendors and neighbors. It is like a big party; everyone is invited, everyone enjoys themselves and no one is disappointed. Best of all, the party food goes home with them. Going to the market, running the market, is definitely as one of the best ways to spend a Sunday morning”
Other facts about farmers markets:
• Farmers at farmers markets donate hundreds of thousands of pounds of fresh produce to local social service agencies across the country each year.
• The USDA estimates that farmers markets provide income opportunities for at least 150,000 direct-marketing farmers and food producers across the country.
• More than 1,000 farmers markets are estimated to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits in 2010. Between 2008 and 2009, the amount of SNAP dollars redeemed at farmers markets increased more than 100%.
• It’s estimated that approximately $1.3 billion in direct farm-to-consumer sales occurred in farmers markets in 2009.
• Farmers markets accepted over $44 million in WIC (Women, Infant and Children) and SFNP (Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program) vouchers in 2009 – making fresh food available to millions of low income families.
About West End Farmers Market
The West End Farmers Market brings together hundreds of people every Sunday, rain or shine. Parents More..bring their children, couples meet up with friends, and dogs of every size and breed happily socialize with each other.
2011 marks the fifth year of the West End Farmers Market! Primarily producer-only, every week you can look forward to:
- fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables and herbs
- freshly baked breads, pastries and desserts
- artisanal cheeses and yogurt
- free range chicken, pork, beef and buffalo
- handmade, fresh pasta and oven-ready meals
- sweet, savory and smoky nuts
- delicious jams, jellies, salsas and sauces
- hot, brewed coffee, packaged ground coffee and coffee beans
- beautiful fresh cut flowers and potted plants
- handmade jewelry and artLess..
West End Farmers Market
4800 Brenman Park Drive
Phone : 202-681-9630
Published On:April 27, 2011
Print Release:Print Release
If you have questions regarding information in this press release contact the company listed above. I-Newswire.com is a press release service and not the author of this press release.The information that is on or available through this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. As some companies and PR Agencies submit their press releases once per week,month or quarter, make sure to check the official company website for accurate release dates as our site displays the I-Newswire.com press release distribution date only.We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through this site, and we are not responsible for or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information.
Visual Arts Students To Engage In Swap Meet
Catholic Family Services of Simcoe County to Participate in Barrie Dragon Boat Festival
New Store Offers Home Decor -- and Hope
Peace of Mind Technologies to Donate CCTV System to Children’s Organization
Abercrombie & Fitch Meets with Teen Activists and National Groups to Address Concerns