Developing a rigorous and engaging homeschool science curriculum can be a challenge for any parent or caregiver. Science kits provide a fun and affordable supplement to any homeschool science curriculum.
Parents and caregivers most frequently ask the science experts at Discover This about how to teach science at home. Science and science fundamentals can feel less intuitive and more rigorous than other school subjects that parent find themselves using more effortlessly in our everyday lives. The current leading homeschool science curriculum like Apologia, Bob Jones and Alpha Omega provide comprehensive and structured science education that is consistent with Christian fundamentals. However, some parents believe that these courses are too structured and go too far. All parents are looking for new approaches to engage our children in the wonders of science and self-discovery. To help parents on that journey, the Discover This experts offer the following tips for creating a home school science curriculum:
• Make the program age appropriate. Young children enjoy and can grasp the fundamentals of science. The principles should build as students advance - don't confuse a harder curriculum with a better curriculum.
• Build a program that students relate to. Learn the lesson from video games and cartoons - children are captivated and engaged by images that are familiar and make them feel comfortable and secure. Leverage that comfort and make learning easier.
• Make the program hands on. Lectures are for college students, get your children involved. Children learn by doing, and are more vested if they get to participate in the learning process. Lessons learned through self discovery are seldom lost.
• Make the program flexible. Be willing to repeat a lesson that students didn't grasp. Use a variety of tools and classroom aids. The structure and consistency that can make it boring for a parent can make it boring for a child. Be willing to adjust the schedule and sprinkle in some fun.
• Tailor the program to your students. Understand their likes and dislikes. Don't be afraid to supplement the curriculum to bring out their interests. Trust instincts... when teachers follow the curriculum religiously from beginning to end religiously, teachers and students feel bored.
• Make the program fun. Science shouldn't be boring. Compared to other subjects, the opportunities for hands on learning are plentiful. Get students involved in the process of scientific discovery and motivate their natural curiosity.
A great homeschool science curriculum is one that has been developed by a team of children, parents, educators, and scientists that understands both the children that are being homeschooled as well as the parents that are homeschooling them. A science curriculum needs to have a balance of age-appropriate information combined with simple and open-ended designed manuals so that both students and their parents have a fun, educational, and positive experience.
Science kits provide a fun and affordable supplement to established homeschool curriculum. Science kits come in all shapes and sizes - kits can be either age based, theme based or both. For homeschooling of students aged 5 to 12, consider The Young Scientists Club. The Young Scientists Club was started in 1999 by Esther Novis when she was looking for educational and fun science activities for her five children as well as looking for a way to put her Harvard University education in the sciences to good use. Novis believes that children should be exposed to the fascinating fields of science at an early age with engaging hands-on experiments. What makes The Young Scientists Club products great for homeschooling families is that their manuals are engaging, thorough, and age-appropriate. As the children are performing the experiments, they are asked questions, given graphs to fill out, and form conclusions. To make it stress-free for parents to prepare the lessons, each manual comes with an easy to follow parent guide that explains the experiments and also gives hints and guidance. To make sure that all homeschooling families have a fun and great science experience, The Young Scientists Club also has an experienced and friendly staff available that can answer questions and at the end of each lesson, all young scientists are encouraged to continue their scientific adventures by exploring each different science topic in more detail by entering the online Clubhouse. Here the children can not only explore science topics and science experiments in more depth, but can also email questions, results, and comments. The Young Scientists Club believes that science should be "An Educational Science Adventure that Lasts a Lifetime" and, therefore, they create quality science products for young children that engage boys and girls in an exciting and positive manner and at the same time make it stress-free for the parents. As a homeschooling family, parents might be looking for additional enrichment science kits, such as The Magic School Bus and Clifford series, or parents might be looking for a complete curriculum (Young Scientist Series); either way, parents can't go wrong with The Young Scientists Club products.
Whether a parent is homeschooling children or simply looking for an exciting, hands on family activity, science kits are a fun, affordable solution. Grab a science kit and learn something fun and new......together.
Discover This is a family operated business headquartered in Lake Forest, Illinois. All products are fun and non-violent, while they also keep children mentally active by engaging them in learning about the many exciting branches of science. These exciting new products are in stock and ready to ship from Discover This.