Beat the Oct. 1 Moving Day Blues: 10 Tips to Organize Your Move
Moving can be overwhelming, but these tips go a long way to simplify and expedite the process.
Chicago (I-Newswire) September 11, 2013 - The second busiest moving day of the year (October 1) is around the corner, which means millions of Americans will be packing up and stressing out. And if moving due to a new job or change in marital status, they've hit the stress jackpot.
"Moving can be overwhelming, but a little planning goes a long way to simplify and expedite the process," says Professional Organizer and Home Stager Susan Fleischman, founder of clutterfree, who blogs about home and office organization for YouCopia.com.
Whether moving nearby or across the country, de-stress with Fleischman's top 10 moving tips:
1. Purge, Purge, Purge! Allow enough time to pack so that you can purge before you move. Movers charge by the hour, so taking along stuff that you ultimately won't use again is a waste of money and a waste of time (to pack and unpack).
2. Use Small Boxes. You'll end up with more boxes, but they'll be easier to handle. Fleischman recommends corrugated bankers boxes for their handles, strength and value-about $16 for a 10-pack at office supply stores.
3. Pack LIT. The more you pack LIT (like items together), the easier and faster you'll unpack and organize your new home.
4. Take Photos. Before you pack, take photos of all key areas, closets and cabinets so that you can replicate them in your new home. This is also helpful if others help unpack; just give hubby the baking cabinet photo as a guide.
5. Supervise Movers. If professional movers pack for you, be sure to supervise them to ensure LIT (like items together). Otherwise they tend to scoop up whatever they see and toss it all in together.
6. Avoid Newspaper. Ink from newspaper can leave a dirty film on glassware and other fragile items, so it's well worth a few extra dollars to use professional packing paper. This paper also provides better protection because it's larger and thicker.
7. Use Stretch Wrap. An indispensable packing tool, you'll find tons of uses for stretch wrap, from bundling dishes (instead of wrapping each plate separately) and containing stuff in drawer-ready organizers, to corralling large items that don't fit in a box, like lawn chairs.
8. Wrap Furniture and Appliances. Insist that your movers wrap furniture and appliances in moving blankets, and stretch wrap all upholstered pieces. Some top movers charge a little extra for this, but it's the best way to prevent damage and keep stuff clean.
9. Label everything. Movers typically label box tops, but also label the SIDE of every box. Then, if boxes are stacked up waiting to be unpacked, you'll know what's where.
10. Hydrate & Eat. Whether using professional movers or friends and family volunteers, plan ahead to have coolers of bottled water, sandwiches and snacks on Moving Day. A well-nourished moving crew is a productive and efficient moving crew.
There, now your move will be as stress-free as your lovely new home! For more tips on organizing and maintaining order, visit Fleischman's blog at YouCopia.com.
# # #
YouCopia creates innovative home organization products to help you simplify and enjoy life. YouCopia products are available at leading retailers including Bed Bath & Beyond, The Container Store and Amazon.com. Be sure to check out our organizing tips on the YouCopia Blog and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube.
For more information or images, please contact Cynthia Greenwood at Cynthia@YouCopia.com, or call 847-404-8404.
Published On:September 11, 2013
Print Release:Print Release
If you have questions regarding information in this press release contact the company listed above. I-Newswire.com is a press release service and not the author of this press release.The information that is on or available through this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. As some companies and PR Agencies submit their press releases once per week,month or quarter, make sure to check the official company website for accurate release dates as our site displays the I-Newswire.com press release distribution date only.We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through this site, and we are not responsible for or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information.
Elite Nannies On Call of Coral Gables Florida- Coral Gables Nanny
Grief Support Guide Gives Twin Cities Families Ways to Stay Positive and Active at the Holidays
Get The Ultimate Comfort of Living at Houses for Rent in Chanakyapuri at Really Affordable Prices
Staying Ahead of the Competition the Residue Free Way! No Rinsing Agents! No Soap Left Behind! No Health Risk!
Online Consumer Guide Offers In-depth Info on Best Time to Buy Appliances